1. Information collected
We collect personal information fairly and in accordance with the law.
No personally identifying information is automatically collecting by using our website. Personally identifying information is information that could identify you as an individual, such as your name, address, email address and/or phone number. The only personally identifying information collected through our website is information that you choose to provide to us through our online forms. (You may also, or in addition, choose to provide personally identifying information to us through ways other than our website, such as by phone, email, and/or fax.)
Our website, like most websites, collects non-personally identifying or anonymous information. The information collected does not include any identifiable personal information and cannot be used by SV or the service providers to identify you:
IP addresses – Web servers used by SV will automatically collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses and this information may be used to analyze activity and prevent fraudulent acts and possible network attacks.
2. Use of information collected
We use personal information to carry out the activities of our organization. These include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to questions and inquires submitted to us from stakeholders including residents, loved ones of residents and the general public
- Accept, process and respond to individuals applying for or inquiring about our accommodations and living at Shepherd Village
- Accept, process and respond to applications for employment, student placements and/or volunteer positions
- Accept, process and acknowledge donations, event registrations and other fundraising initiatives
- Inform people about our communications and marketing initiatives
- Provide anonymous insight into how our website is being used
With some exceptions where we are legally bound to do so (e.g. sending tax receipts), individuals who no longer wish to receive information from SV may contact us and ask to no longer receive the information from us.
3. Securing personal information
SV takes precautions to ensure that personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification and disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect personal information are:
- Premises security
- Confidentiality policies
- Internal password and security policies
- Deploying technological safeguards like security software and firewalls to prevent unauthorized computer access or “hacking
4. Disclosure of personal information
We make significant efforts to ensure that the personal information provided to us remains private and that is it used for the purpose intended. We will not sell, rent, share or otherwise disclose the personal information provided to us through our website to third parties unless:
- We have consent to do
- We are required by law or by a warrant, subpoena or rules of court to do so
- We engage or retain professionals in the course of our activities (like computer back-up services, archival file storage or insurance) and the professionals are bound by obligations regarding privacy which are consistent with this Policy
5. External links
Our website contains links to other sites, which are not governed by this Policy.
6. Updating information
Since we use personal information to carry out our activities and serve our stakeholders, it is important that the information be accurate and up-to-date. If during the course of your relationship with SV any of your personal information changes, please inform us so we can make any necessary changes. We may also periodically inquire whether particular individual’s personal information provided earlier is accurate and up-to-date.
7. For more information
Any questions regarding personal information should be directed to:
Chief Privacy Officer
Shepherd Village Inc.
3760 Sheppard Avenue East
Toronto, ON M1T 3K9